Sunday, October 23, 2016

Students as Designers and Creativity

We have reached the end of the Design Principles. This week bringing it all together was fun and exciting. The way our classrooms should be. We learned and reviewed each principle while creating videos on the DooDLeS program. When we use and implement the design principles correctly in our classroom not only will we see satisfaction but our students will become the designers themselves and start solving authentic problems on their own.

Each week I have tried to bring in what I am learning into my classroom and I am already seeing changes in my students. When I create my lessons I am trying to make sure I am following the design pattern and including authentic problems for them to solve. I also am trying to keep the creative spirit. My job is not to stand at the front of the room and toss out information for them to memorize and regurgitate. I need to be their guide, show them the steps to becoming a designer and then giving them the tools to take the reins and become designers themselves.  

When we allow our students to have more of a voice in their learning we see a successful outcome. They are eager and motivated to learn. I recently told my class of 8th graders they were becoming fashion designers since we are learning clothing vocabulary. We talked about traditional clothing from different countries. Then they each created traditional outfits using their vocabulary terms and the different styles from each country. They loved making the designs and I loved watching them use the vocabulary in action.

I feel like I am able to add more to my lessons in order to make my students more engaged. It’s no longer making a vocabulary list and memorizing them. I need to create authentic situations where they will need to use their vocabulary in their world. When I first started this class I thought how on earth is this going to work with Spanish, but now after learning the six design principles I can’t believe I ever taught without them.

4 comments:

  1. A lot of what we have learned ties into what professional research has found out about language learning. That's one of the reasons I was drawn to the program. So much of the PD we get at work doesn't apply to our unique situation. But DDLS really does. Are you going to ACTFL in Boston this November? I will be there Fri and Sat. We should meet up if you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bummer! I'm not. I have been thinking of going to one but I've never done it. I went to PD yesterday for my Diocese and the entire time I sat their I kept thinking about DDLS and how I have gained so much already. The presenter, a former Spanish 2 teacher for Arlington County was good and had good ideas but it didn't apply to me (and the poor Latin teacher sitting next to me). I left more frustrated and wishing I hadn't spent half a day there.

      Delete
  2. Hey Mel! I love that you are already applying what we are learning in your classes and seeing the fruits of your labor! Your vocabulary lesson using fashion designing would have been something I would have loved to do while learning Spanish in high school. I guarantee you that your students will remember those vocabulary words because you gave them the opportunity to be authentic while learning them. I look forward to hearing more about your lessons using the design principles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also think it's great that we're able to apply what we're learning in class to our practice quickly in small ways. It will take a while to totally change our practice but seeing how seamlessly we can make these baby steps really encourages me.

      Delete